WDSD Geneva 2020
March 19 - March 20
Down Syndrome International (DSi) is organising another event at the United Nations headquarters in Geneva for World Down Syndrome Day 2020. We want to give people with Down syndrome an opportunity to speak up on the theme “We Decide” to members of the Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, government officials, and civil society representatives.
Please note that the date of the event is likely to be Thursday 19 March-Friday 20 March due to WDSD falling on a Saturday.
Sponsorship and support
The 2020 event is sponsored by the Permanent Missions of Brazil and Israel to the United Nations in Geneva, with support from the International Disability Alliance.
Thursday 19 March 2020 – Preparatory workshop
- Workshop for people with Down syndrome and their supporters only
- Location: Geneva, Switzerland
- Times: TBC
Friday 20 March 2020 – Side Event to the 23rd Session of the UN Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities
- Open event
- Location: Palais des Nations, Geneva, Switzerland (home of the United Nations in Geneva)
- Times: TBC
PLEASE NOTE: We are no longer taking applications to present at the event
Please do not make any travel arrangements until we have confirmed that you have a place at the event!
Unfortunately we are unable to provide any financial assistance for participation in this event.
Other WDSD events happening in Geneva
Thursday 19 March – ‘Soirée d’Ouverture’
- Welcome dinner for UN event participants as well as those attending the Swiss WDSD Conference (see below), organized by local Down syndrome associations (ART21 Geneva, and PART21)
- The evening will start with a welcome drink and a short concert by the inclusive music group ‘Son-O’Rythme‘. This will be followed by an Italian set-menu meal: tomato, mozzarella, pesto and green mixed salad – pasta bolognaise OR linguini pesto – coffee and vanilla mousse with a biscuit and coffee coulis.
- Location: Brasserie des Halles de l’Ile1 Place de l’île. 1204 Genève
- Time: 18:00 to 22:00
- Price: 31 CHF for adults, 26 CHF for children
- Click here to book tickets (before midnight on 8 March 2020)
Friday 20, Saturday 21 and Sunday 22 March – Swiss WDSD Conference and Family Days
- Conference and family event organized by Swiss and French Down syndrome associations
- Highlights will include inclusive circus show, exhibition stands, workshops (in french), Swiss raclette evening (Saturday), and a family brunch (Sunday)
- Opportunity for international participants to apply for an exhibition stand (free)
- Location: Signal de Bougy, Swiss adventure park with restaurant and conference facilities, 40 minutes from Geneva
- Click here for more information, including price and registrations. NB It will be possible to register for both single or multiple days, as preferred.
You can also follow the action at the WDSD Conferences in New York and Geneva on social media:
You can still watch the recordings from WDSD Geneva 2019 on the event page – WDSD Geneva 2019